Friday, October 24, 2008

I'm Back, Finally!


(Photo: Gilles and I on New Smyrma Beach. We solicited a young girl to take our mug shot!

*****************************************


It's been a while. I don't know where to begin. Florida was amazing; Nashville thrilled us; and the weather couldn't have been better. Gilles and I had slipped away for a week to celebrate the official end of my chemo. I was a little concerned because we left not too long after my treatment. I only experienced a little queaziness, though, on the first leg of the long car ride, but it disappeared quickly and Gilles made sure we had lots of stops so that I would have plenty of opportunities to stretch my legs and grab a breath of fresh air.

I have a friend who lives in Ocoee, Florida which is very close to Orlando. It was so wonderful to see her and her sweet hubby and to catch up on all the news. Fran and Rick took us on a Disneyland monorail tour the night we arrived and we had a wonderful time watching the fireworks and touring the beautiful Grand Floridian hotel and 'stealing a dance' on the impressive floral carpet in the lounging area. Our time together with Fran and Rick was only two days, but we made the most of it and filled the hours with chatter, reminiscing and exploration. We learned about everything from palm trees to gheckos to not messing around with alligators!


(Photo: Fran and I being 'goofy' with the hats at Disneyworld in Orlando)

Later when we went to the beach, I felt like a little girl as I played in the sand and stared in awe at all that was unfamiliar. This was my first trip to Florida. I thank the Lord that He made this trip possible and that Gilles and I were able to enjoy our time together. The memories are etched in my soul and, although it was a quick trip, it was a memorable one.

When Gilles and I went to the New Smyrma beach in Florida before we headed to Nashville I actually had a little cry. It was odd but for a brief moment I had a bit of a synesthesia experience. As I smelled the sweet unique ocean odor, I was transported back in time. When I lived in England, my family made frequent trips to the ocean and we paddled in the ocean often and created sandcastles in the sand. I remembered those family times and missed my Mom.

Nashville was a whole new experience, too. At the Grand Ole Opry we enjoyed a nostalgic trip back in time and had the privilege of seeing Little Jimmy Dickens, Stonewall Jackson and Jeannie Shepherd, to name a few. Gilles was raised on country music so he was more 'in touch' with these country music legends than I was but I got great pleasure from seeing him enjoy the Opry. The next day we toured the little honky tonks on the renowned Nashville strip and were treated to some more boot stompin', knee slappin' bluegrass and country music. Yeeha!

(Photo: Jypsi- a great little bluegrass group that we heard play on the Nashville strip. The groups all play for tips as they try to make it to the big times in Nashville.)

I am so thankful that Gilles and I had the opportunity to run away for a while and to experience some quality time together without anticipating a needle in the arm or worrying about meeting with the medical experts to discuss what was coming next. Sweet relief.

So now we wait. My treatments have ceased and I am thinking positive. November 13th will tell the story, though. That's when we visit the oncologist again for the final report; was my chemo a success? At the last visit my bloodwork indicated that things looked good. However that element of 'what if...' still lurks and worries my soul. But I am trusting God and know that He has a plan. I'm hoping that His plan and my plans are the same this time around, though. We shall see.

I never cease to give thanks for all my friends and family who take the time to read and pray for us. I continue to be amazed at the outpouring of love that comes in many forms. That includes the fact that you are even taking the time to read this erratic blog! Thanks for caring. xxx



(Photo: Smooching outside the gates of the wedding chapel in Disneyworld. The fireworks started right after that!)

2 comments:

Lori said...

Glynis,

I'm SO glad that you had a little getaway and enjoyed every minute! I love Florida too and can hardly wait until March Break =) I will be praying for you during this time as you wait until the 13th.

Love Lori

Anonymous said...

glad you had a great time together Mom and Dad!! You definitely deserved it!! Wish we went with you but maybe next time!!!