Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Dads...



My Dad is King. I know time has a way of marching forth in all its glory and knocking the wind out of the sails of men and women as they journey on through the alotted days. The jewels in my Dad's crown might be a little faded, but nevertheless, they are still jewels and still shine brightly in my view.

They call it 'old age' and stubborn. I call it power and persevererance. Dad is a trooper and a fighter. He can be rendered tender hearted and vulnerable some times but then he can return stalwart and strong in the face of opposition. That's a powerful lesson to those who bemoan their fate in this temporary dwelling we call life.

When Mom died in July 2007, it was one of those times when I saw Dad at his most vulnerable. How could he go on? His life partner was gone after 57 years. He was lost, alone, and broken-hearted. His children tried to fix it and make it better but there is no substituting for something inexplicable in a relationship. It has been a long haul, but Dad is making it. He sees beyond the grief now, although his daily conversations with Mom convince him that she is a mere breath away and he never forgets her. He is seeing the importance of family and longing for the joy of reunion. Some misunderstand him perhaps but I know in his heart he longs for those times of joy and special moments.

I need my Dad. I need all my family but Dad represents something that cannot be replaced by words. His embrace represents the Heavenly Father's love for me. His love extends beyond the past and the challenges. When I first stood before my Dad after my first chemotherapy when my hair had fallen out, I took off my hat and hung my head. He wiped my tears and told me I looked just like I did when I was a baby - except bigger. My cancer does not conquer him. He constantly prefaces his conversations with "...when things get back to normal..." He will not enter into the mindset of my cancer not being completely eradicated. That's good balm for this soul.

If you are still privileged to have your Dad around, take a moment to think about your relationship with him by focussing on the positive. Remember the good times. If there are past hurts, allow them to heal. If there are resentments that you think are unforgiveable, think upon those who have forgiven you then project that forgiveness. Do what you can to enhance the relationship with your father. Time is fleetiing and before we know it, we will be shedding tears at a funeral, wishing we had not wasted time in trivial pursuits and arguing over who is more right. "Daddy, I love you," are the foundational words that motivate and prepare the heart and soul for whatever lays ahead. Are they so hard to say?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Glynis,

(It's Cindy's sis)
I hear congrats are in order! Praise Him!!!
You are incredible. One of those you are blessed to meet for an instant in time but will never forget. You were the only other person in the room with a smile. (And it’s contagious to boot!) I thank God that you were placed in this mess at the same time as my sis. Thanking not for the circumstance but for timing. I hear Cindy's a little bitter that you left her. ;) Knowing Cindy had good company in London rests my heart. You also touched me in ways you don’t know and I thank you for that.God has truly worked through you.
May the rest of your journey be easier!
Congrats again,

Anonymous said...

Hey Glynis,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Cindy's told me so I had to come check you out. Awesome job!
You are incredible. One of those you are blessed to meet for an instant in time but will never forget. You were the only other person in the room with a smile (and it’s contagious to boot!) I thank God that you were placed in this mess at the same time as my sis. Thanking not for the circumstance but for timing. Knowing Cindy had good company in London rests my heart. You also touched me in ways you don’t know and I thank you for that. God does work through you!

May the rest of your journey be easier!

Congrats again,
Denise

Anonymous said...

{Mom, you'll have to pass this on to Dad!}

Dadn, Thanks for being who you are! You made me who I am....I have learned a lot from you....a lot of things most girls might not know! You were patient in teaching me all the "tricks of the trade"....I LOVE YOU! ;D xo