Thursday, September 24, 2009

Well, the weekend descends quickly and I am still limping along. I am hoping and praying that another two days will do the trick. My broken toe still refuses to settle well into my nice Dr.Scholl runners.

The Winner's Walk of Hope 5km walk is Sunday already and I am absolutely pumped about going and doing my part to help my 'sisters' with early detection of ovarian cancer. Amanda just may have to pull me in Jocelyn's little wagon. But I am going one way or the other. Move over Trenton!
I would not want anyone to go through what I went through last year. The wretched, bittersweet chemotherapy got me through, but the journey was rough. So if a portion of the funds raised by our Sunflower Seeds team helps with the early detection of ovarian cancer in even one sister, it will be all worthwhile.

I read a quote from Dr. William Hamilton, a lead U.S. researcher on a recent survey of ovarian cancer symptoms. He said, "Ovarian cancer is not silent, it's noisy. It's just that we're not very good at deciphering the noise."
When I first heard that, I thought he might be right. But on further pondering, I wanted to wallop the nice man. The symptoms of ovarian cancer to many women are silent. I still maintain that.

Many women with bloating (the biggie) just think that they are menopausal or are eating the wrong things. When I consider my symptoms they were basically silent. I barely even noticed the bloating. And I sure did not have any loss of appetite - another symptom. I had no nausea or weight loss (fat chance) nor did I have any bleeding. Looking back now, I did have fatigue and a few other vague symptoms, but nothing that would scream 'cancer.' However, the growth in my abdomen was my biggest symptom, although I tried to slough it off as my uterus doing a pre-menopausal flip-flop.

Perhaps I am being a little hard on Doc. Hamilton; maybe I'm ticked because he doesn't have a uterus. But I suppose, when I re-read what he said, it is all about getting educated and making a noise in that manner. So as I walk this weekend I will do just that as I think and pray for all my OC sisters who have gone before me or who are just starting out on their journeys.

This Sunday I will walk with my head held high, with a little limp in my gait, with praise and thanksgiving in my heart for those who sponsored me, and a whole lot of gratefulness to God for extending my 'breatheability' a little longer so that I can savour this precious moment called life!

**********************************






FYI

Physical symptoms of ovarian cancer include:
abdominal discomfort or pelvic pain
bloating
difficulty eating or feeling full quickly
frequent urination
fatigue
backache
nausea, indigestion, loss of appetite
weight loss
change in bowel habits
gas
pain during intercourse
abnormal vaginal bleeding (rare)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Go for it Glynis!! We are all walking and pushing you along in prayer. Enjoy your day with all your 'sisters' and your daughter.

vjc said...

Thanks for posting these symptoms for review, Glynis. You're right - it can be very quiet. So it helps to be reminded what to "listen" for.

All the best to you on the walk, Glynis. Nothing has slowed you down yet so I can't see a broken toe keeping you from doing what you feel is so important either.

Prayers go with you.