Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Tyranny of the Urgent or Sunshine and Sandboxes



Trenton did not look too happy when he heard the answer to his question. "Where are my toys, Grandma?" When I told my sweet grandson that we had put them away for the winter, he looked at me with a crooked smile and a wrinkled forehead. I imagine in his little two and a half year old brain, that did not make sense.Why on earth would I put away the toys when today was a perfectly sunny, playable day?


Big people like to plan and prepare and 'get ready.' Children live for the moment. If it's sunny the toys should be there.I wonder who's right? It's good to plan and prepare and to think ahead. But should it be the rule all the time? I mean take this afternoon - we missed out on a good old fun day in the sandbox because the toys were tucked away for the winter.


Since being diagnosed with ovarian cancer back in April of this year, I have had my eyes opened a few times about a million things, including the tyranny of the urgent. I know God was prodding me into something. He used my situation to teach me plenty about trust and focus. He showed me how to appreciate who I am, what I have and how meaningful relationships are. I discovered that slowing down and sniffing the chyrsanthemums or playing with grandchildren or finding joy in the butterflies and bee balm, or visiting with friends takes priority over tasks.



I didn't like the cancer or the chemotherapy. The loss of locks made me shiver and quiver about my body image at first. The trips to London to face the prods and the pokes were not something I looked forward to. But I continue to marvel at the lessons learned through all this.



In Romans 8:28 it says, " We know that in everything God works for good with those who love Him , who are called according to His purpose." Even now, I am able to see how God is -and has been, making good out of my situation. For that I am truly thankful. Okay...I am off to hug someone.

1 comment:

Lori said...

WOW! What a lesson! I think we could all use that lesson. I'm trying very hard also, to marvel in today....because this past year has already gone too fast. It's believeable when parents of older children say where has the time gone? The tasks will always be there tomorrow....